Home About Archive Contact

August 29, 2012

5 Ways to Make a Boxed Mix Better


Nothing is better than homemade dessert. Sometimes you just don't have the time or patience to devote to a more complicated recipe so you reach for that cake mix and it's good but it could be better. Here's a couple of tips I use to fake a homemade dessert using a cake mix

1. Dairy: 
Whenever a boxed mix says to add water I usually add milk or half and half, depending on what I have on hand. There's nothing wrong with using water but any dairy product will add extra flavor.

2. Extracts:
I usually use vanilla but almond would also work here. Most homemade desserts call for at least a teaspoon of vanilla extract so adding a splash of it into a boxed mix is another way to add flavor.

3. Extras:
Instead of sticking with a boring plain cake or cookie, make it something special. In the above picture I transformed plain oatmeal cookies into oatmeal chocolate & craisin cookies (which disappeared within two days!).

4. Butter:
No I haven't turned into Paula Dean but have you ever made anything from scratch that called for vegetable oil? I haven't. So for boxed mixes, I'll substitute the same amount of melted butter for the oil. It'll make your cake moist and delicious.

5. Lie:
No one will no it came from a box unless you tell them... I'll keep your secret.



 kristen from living bittersweetly

4 comments:

Erica said...

I always cheat and use the box stuff, but with these tips no one will ever have to know...

Shhhhhh... it will be our little secret ... ;)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked the tips! I hope what ever you make turns out delicious!

Katie said...

I love your post! #5 is my favorite :) Thank you for sharing on Blog Stalking Thursday! Your post was one of the top viewed so I have featured you with this week's party. Please stop by and grab a feature button. You deserve it! http://www.thecraftyblogstalker.com/2012/09/blog-stalking-thursday-60.html

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Katie! I'm so excited!